This article’s purpose is to explain how to create branching questions. The branching option allows you to define a subsequent question for each answer in the original question. You can use branching in three types of questions:
- Single choice.
- Multiple choice (only when a scoring type is a combination of answers).
Adding questions to a Question Pool
- To add questions to a question pool, navigate to Tests/Question pools.
- To add questions to a new question pool, click the New button.
- In the popup window, add a pool name and save it.
- To add questions to an existing question pool, select the pool name from the list of pools.
Single choice branching
- To add a single-choice question to a newly created or an existing question pool, select the Questions tab.
- Click the Add question button and select the Single choice option.
- Configure the question settings (difficulty, duration, scoring method, points, penalty, frequency), and check the box that enables the Branching option.
- To add a question to a branch, click the Add question to branch.
- Select the question type from the dropdown menu (you can add all questions as a subsequent questions).
- Configure branching question settings and save the branch for the answer.
- The answer can have as many branching questions as you wish, and you can see the list of all questions in the branch. To see the branching structure, select the Show structure option.
- Add the question to the question pool by clicking the Add to pool button.
Multiple Choice branching
- To add a multiple-choice question to a newly created or an existing question pool, select the Questions tab.
- Click the Add question button and select the Multiple choice option.
- Open the dropdown menu for the scoring method and select By combination of answers. Multiple choice question type branching is enabled only with this scoring method.
- Fill out the question text and answers fields and select the Add combination of answers button.
- Add a specific combination of answers by selecting the Add button for each answer and entering the weight (points) for each combination. When you finish, click on the Save button to save the changes.
- To add a question in the branch for each combination, click the Add new question to branch button, and select the question type from the drop-down list.
- The Weight column displays the points for each combination. In the Actions column, you can edit the answer group or delete a group, and in the Branch column, you can edit a question in the branch.
- Click the Add to pool button to add questions to the pool.
- To add a True/False question to a newly created or an existing question pool, select the Questions tab.
- Click the Add question button and select the True/False option.
- Repeat steps three to eight from the second chapter (single choice branching).